Holidays are a great time for families to travel and enjoy some down time. If you are planning a family vacation, we invite you to please take a few minutes to read the following important information:

  • Ensure you verify the entry and exit requirements of each country on your itinerary and make sure that you have all the travel documents necessary to enter or transit through these countries.
  • Make sure that all passports are valid. Although some countries still allow for a child to travel on his parent’s passport, Canada now requires that all passengers, including children, carry their own passport when travelling by air to a foreign destination.

We also recommend that you contact the transportation company (airline, train, bus, etc.) in order to comply
with any additional policies they may have in place.

The Consent Letter
A parent that is travelling alone with his child must have the following documents:

  • A valid Canadian passport;
  • A consent letter authorizing travel that is signed by the other parent (strongly recommended);
  • Any legal documents pertaining to custody;
  • A death certificate if one of the parents is deceased.

The consent letter must be signed and dated by the other parent. You can find a sample consent letter by
clicking on the following link:
Having a consent letter does not guarantee entry, as permission to enter another country is entirely the
decision of the foreign country. A consent letter may be required by foreign authorities, in addition to other
country-specific entry requirements. You should contact the representatives of the respective country or
countries to be visited by your child in order to ensure that you have the most up-to-date information
regarding specific entry requirements.

We strongly recommend that you have the consent letter certified, stamped or sealed by an official who has
the authority to administer an oath or solemn declaration, e.g., a commissioner for oaths, notary public or
lawyer, so that the validity of the letter will not be questioned.

Some custody orders have specific conditions governing international travel. Since every situation is unique,
we invite you to contact the Missing Children’s Network at 514 843-4333. Our Case Managers will be more
than happy to address any questions or concerns you may have, as well as provide you with sound advice.